Wouldn’t you know it, just as we got our first frost, our boiler broke. I’ve spent most of the week trying to find someone to replace it. Just when I thought I was getting somewhere, he called back to say it was going to cost an extra £1400 on top of what he already quoted. Argh.
Needless to say, my camera has been neglected this week…until this sunrise. I know some people are not keen on sunrise pics (I ALWAYS lose followers on Instagram when I post) but this one kept getting better. Freya and I sat and watched it for a good 20 minutes. The one directly above is taken with the iPhone and the one below with the big camera.
Please keep your fingers crossed that the cold weather predicted this week doesn’t materialise – although, while we don’t have heat, we do still have hot water at the moment so it could be worse.
To see what other people have been photographing, please click on the camera below.
Also, if you’re about tomorrow, please pop back to read my final Behind The Book post of 2018. I’m delighted to welcome one of my favourite writers, number one best-selling author Shari Low.
Earlier this year we joined the RSPB and as well as access to all the reserves we enjoy so much, our family membership also came with a Nature Discovery Pack, which we have been making use of.
While some of the seasonal tasks require you to have your own garden or outside space (we live in a top floor flat), many of them you can do anywhere – including making a butterfly from leaves. With each task you do you get to put a ‘we did it’ sticker on the page, which is Freya’s main inspiration.
The different colour leaves look amazing at the moment and I was desperate to do something with them, as we have in the past, so this was ideal. Plus, as you might already know, butterflies are one of my favourite things.
While the one in the book is based on a brimstone, we went for a comma as the shape of our leaves suited it raggedy wings better.
It had been raining overnight so we gathered the leaves and then pegged them on the washing line on the balcony for a good few hours to dry them out.
Once they were ready, we started by drawing a rough butterfly shape and then began filling it in (using two stems for antennae). My initial plan was to return the leaves to the wild once we’d finished but Freya was desperate to keep it so we ended up using PVA to glue them in place. She started off using a dabber but, as always, ended up using her entire hand to spread the glue (whatever makes her happy).
I was really impressed with how well it came out (it looks better in person).
Once it was dry we cut around it and it held together well (thanks to Freya’s very thorough efforts with the glue). I was wondering if there was a way to frame it, I liked it so much.
This post isn’t sponsored by or connected to the RSPB but if you’re interested in membership here’s a link to their main website.
A lovely friend popped in for a catch up this week and came with these beautiful flowers.
They are grown by a man down the road who then sells them from his front garden. I had such a lovely time taking photos of them (after she had left, don’t worry). Please forgive me for the flower spam.
And then I discovered they came with an added extra.
I’ve linked up with Darren’s My Sunday Photo. Please click on the camera below to see what other people have shared.