Earlier this year we joined the RSPB and as well as access to all the reserves we enjoy so much, our family membership also came with a Nature Discovery Pack, which we have been making use of.
While some of the seasonal tasks require you to have your own garden or outside space (we live in a top floor flat), many of them you can do anywhere – including making a butterfly from leaves. With each task you do you get to put a ‘we did it’ sticker on the page, which is Freya’s main inspiration.
The different colour leaves look amazing at the moment and I was desperate to do something with them, as we have in the past, so this was ideal. Plus, as you might already know, butterflies are one of my favourite things.
While the one in the book is based on a brimstone, we went for a comma as the shape of our leaves suited it raggedy wings better.
It had been raining overnight so we gathered the leaves and then pegged them on the washing line on the balcony for a good few hours to dry them out.
Once they were ready, we started by drawing a rough butterfly shape and then began filling it in (using two stems for antennae). My initial plan was to return the leaves to the wild once we’d finished but Freya was desperate to keep it so we ended up using PVA to glue them in place. She started off using a dabber but, as always, ended up using her entire hand to spread the glue (whatever makes her happy).
I was really impressed with how well it came out (it looks better in person).
Once it was dry we cut around it and it held together well (thanks to Freya’s very thorough efforts with the glue). I was wondering if there was a way to frame it, I liked it so much.
This post isn’t sponsored by or connected to the RSPB but if you’re interested in membership here’s a link to their main website.